Rhinoplasty is a procedure that can have a dramatic effect on your appearance. The procedure involves changing the size or shape of one of the most noticeable features of the face, the nose. People undergo this surgery for a variety of reasons. Some people want to correct congenital abnormalities, fix an injury or want to have a nose that better suits the other features of their face. Dr. Mark Ginsburg is a board-certified facial plastic and cosmetic surgeon that specializes in cosmetic rhinoplasty. Dr. Ginsburg is known for giving patients superior results that leave them pleased with their outcome.
As a patient of Dr. Ginsburg, you can expect the highest level of care in his state-of-the-art office. While Dr. Ginsburg delivers the best care possible, it is important for patients to follow the pre- and post-operative care instructions they are given. During the consultation with the doctor, patients are given pre-op rhinoplasty instructions so they will understand what they should expect prior to the surgery. Dr. Ginsburg can determine whether the person is a good candidate for the procedure by their willingness to follow these important instructions.
If a rhinoplasty is in your future, we encourage you to read the following pre-operative instructions. These instructions will help you gain an understanding of what to expect at your consultation with Dr. Ginsburg. It is important that you take these instructions seriously. You will need to live a healthy life prior to, and after, your surgery. To achieve the best results, it is important that you follow your post-operative instructions.
General Pre-Surgical Rhinoplasty Instructions
After you have made the decision to undergo a rhinoplasty, you will receive your pre-operative instructions. At your consultation, Dr. Ginsburg will discuss the instructions with you and answer any questions you may have about the instructions and the procedure. Your pre-operative instructions may advise you of the following:
- Two weeks before your surgery, stop using blood-thinning medications, vitamin E, aspirin, or ibuprofen.
- Have someone available who can drive you to and from the office on the day of the procedure.
- Have any prescriptions that are prescribed by the doctor filled before the rhinoplasty.
- It is important that you do not eat or drink after midnight on the day your procedure is scheduled.
- Do not wear make-up on the day your procedure is scheduled.
- Have someone to provide care for you for at least two days following the surgery.
- Quit smoking for two weeks before the surgery. You should also not smoke during your recovery process. Smoking can have a untoward effect on the healing process.
- Wear comfortable clothing, preferably something that fastens in the front, on the day of the rhinoplasty.
- Do not wear jewelry, contact lenses and remove any piercings on the day of the procedure.
It is important that you are well-prepared for the healing process of your rhinoplasty. Being prepared will help to ensure that you have a smooth healing period. You should have all of the supplies you need, such as cold compresses, saline nasal spray, cotton pads and any other items recommended by Dr. Ginsburg, purchased before the operation. Make sure that you confirm all of your follow-up appointments before the surgery, as well.